Well, if you are not a vegan, you have probably heard all the following from the vegans :
- Why do you care if the dog gets killed? You eat meat everyday.
- Don’t try to act too empathetic. You are the reason all the animals are going to go extinct.
- You have no rights to say that. You are not a vegan.
- You have a pet? I can’t believe that.
Huh. Good point, brother. But we are allowed to speak too. So, here are some of the things the vegans need to understand.
- First of all, just because we eat non-vegetarian food does not mean we don’t care for animals. And it does not naturally take away our rights to speak for them.
- Just because we eat non-vegetarian food does not mean we will allow animals to be tortured right in front of us. Does not mean we will be okay with it. Does not mean we will cheer for you to go ahead and pelt stones at them.
- I mean I have seen vegans being cruel to animals. I have seen vegans running a dog down with their car. I have seen a vegan scaring a dog with firecrackers.
- Empathy does not come with your religion. It does not come with what you ate this morning.
I have friends who have pets and who deeply care for them. Some are vegans and some are not. And all of them care for their pets equally, with all the love they can pour over them. One of my non-vegan friends actually has adopted so many street dogs and she also takes care of them. She feeds stray animals almost everyday. It is not that hard, is it? To be just human? To take care of them as well? Or atleast, not bother them?
You cannot tell her to stop being pretentious. You cannot say that when you are not doing anything of that sort. Just because you are a vegan, does not mean you are naturally an animal rights activist.
I have personally heard stories where people enjoy talking about how they scared the crap out of a dog by chasing him all the way down the road with their vehicle. I have seen accidents which have occurred at speeds less than 30km/hour. They could have stopped it but maybe they were too lazy to apply their brakes because who cares? It is just another stray animal. Right?
I feel bad that we are not concerned about those who cannot talk. For those who can feel more than we do. For those who will stay loyal to us if you just do one good deed for them. They are better than us. We are the monsters.
My heart aches when I read stories where they are ill-treated by their owners or people in general. What did they possibly do to you to deserve that?
But I am also glad that some people are sympathetic. That some people, like my friend, offer a helping hand. A few months ago, I got to know of this organisation called Jeev Aashraya in India and I would like to say that they are doing a splendid job. They go out of their way to help the wounded, injured, diseased and almost dying animals and rescue them. They give them a new life. An afterlife for some.
If not to that extent, you can atleast stay out of their way. You can atleast call for help instead.
There are so many other organisations in various countries. Please find out about them and help as much as you can. This is something really small which we can do.
And if an animal is sick or ill or injured, instead of making fun of it or taking pictures, just give it some water and offer some food to eat. How hard is it? How hard is it to not laugh and instead be a friend?
Be a friend. Or just be a human.